Monday, September 19, 2005

Aberystwyth n'est pas mon amour (sorry too)

I can only really agree with what Jenny and Jaime said. I loved how this novel started. And I really loved the idea. And it was full of charming anecdotal hilarious little jokes and daft ideas which did get me giggling. This really should have been my sort of book in spades. But I found that I was so utterly bored by the plot that the end of the novel honestly actually came as a blissful relief. Moments of comic genius were eventually blurred by an over-egging that made this pudding ultimately impalatable. So I'm not going to buy the second and third in the series. One was enough.
Still, I'm actually glad I read it. The cover was fab. And if it sends anyone careering in the direction of Raymond Chandler, then that's got to be a good thing. In fact, I think I may dig out my old copy of The Long Goodbye... hmm. Now there's pulp fiction with comic timing, and plots to die for, not to Dai for... (ok, sorry, I'll stop now.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home